Comment on page
SMS Standard Keywords
U.S. mobile phone carriers reserve certain one-word keywords as standard consumer commands within SMS messaging campaigns. These SMS keywords can be categorized as follows:
- Opt-out: STOP, END, CANCEL, QUIT, UNSUBSCRIBE
- Customer care: HELP, INFO
These keywords cannot be modified or repurposed: these keywords and their use are described in industry regulations defined by U.S. mobile phone carriers and the Cellular Telephone Industries Associated (CTIA).
Per industry regulations, SMS campaigns must support these standard SMS keywords and provide compliant responses. The following section describes these keywords in greater detail.
REMINDER: The following SMS keywords are carrier-reserved and industry standard. These keywords cannot be modified or repurposed, and SMS campaigns must include them to comply with industry regulations.
- Main keyword: STOP
- Universal keywords: STOP, END, CANCEL, QUIT, UNSUBSCRIBE
- Description: The SMS campaign should send an opt-out message after consumers text a keyword indicating that they wish to opt-out. This opt-out message should confirm that the consumer has been opted out of the campaign or service.
- Main keyword: HELP
- Universal keywords: HELP, INFO
- Description: The SMS campaign should respond to HELP with a message containing the service provider's name and additional cotact information.